As I celebrate my 30th birthday today, I wanted to share my 30 wishes for my upcoming year. For the first time since I began doing the wish series, I have changed the order of my wishes to put family first.
As my family has grown this year and I continue to look at my priorities, I know that putting my family first is the most important thing in my life. One of my new mentors helped me put things in perspective when he said: “Spending that extra five minutes at work each day is not what makes you happy, it is the time you get to spend with your family. The work is still going to be there the next day but those extra five minutes you get to spend with your kids can mean the difference in the world to them.”
In 2013, my wife and I were blessed with the addition of a beautiful baby girl. This event changed our lives in so many ways and we could not be happier. I look forward to spending time with my growing family and making sure family remains a priority in my life.
- Establish a new family blog and post three times a week. (Thanks for checking out Pure Family Gold today!)
- Set up a monthly date night with my wife.
- Make dinner once a week.
- Take a weekend vacation with my wife.
- Take a weekend family staycation.
- Take my son on two “excursions” a month. We have memberships to the Denver Zoo, Children’s Museum and Butterfly Pavilion. I plan on taking him to one of these places each month and an additional fun activity one other time.
- Read to my kids every night.
- Plan on visiting family in Illinois, Texas, Florida and Pittsburgh. We have some trips already planned and hope to plan additional trips to take place in 2014 or 2015.
For six and a half years, I had the privilege of working in the Jewish community as a Jewish professional. There were many times where I struggled with my own Jewish identity while I was helping others find their connection. Over the last fourteen months, I have once again found my own identity and look forward to continuing to grow with my family.
- Continue going to weekly Shabbat services at the Shir Hadash service at HEA.
- Participate in weekly Tot-Shabbat service at HEA. Lead the service six times in 2014.
- Don’t use internet from sunset on Friday until sunset on Saturday night. In 2013, I didn’t check my Facebook, Twitter or email but this year, I want to take it a step further and not use internet at all on Saturdays.
- Hold one Shabbat dinner a month at our house for just for our family or with guests.
- Attend three adult education programs in the Jewish community.
I have enjoyed working in the fundraising world and look forward to continuing to strengthen my skills as a nonprofit professional. There are some exciting changes coming for the organization I work for and I look forward to seeing how these changes will continue to help me grow.
- Write 3 blog posts a month for Nonprofit Gold.
- Participate in two professional conferences.
- Utilize Evernote, Trello & Wunderlist to increase efficiency in day to day work.
- Participate in Aurora Chamber of Commerce‘s Business After Hours seven times.
- Identify ten new leads each month.
- Communicate with professional network minimum of 3 times in 2014.
- Evaluate future of NPGold and explore expanding NPGold brand.
For anyone that has known me, giving back to my community is very important to me. As I look forward to this upcoming year, I want to make a stronger effort to continue giving back by participating more in city activities.
- Give 2% of income to charity.
- Explore City of Aurora committees with plan to join one by the end of 2014.
- Volunteer once a month (could be with same organization or different organizations.)
- Help identify two new board members, three social change partners and match sponsor for YouthRoots.
- Attend two Aurora City Council meetings in 2014.
Each year, I set out some personal goals that I want to meet either for myself or for my family. I believe each of these help me become a more well rounded individual.
- Work out three times a week. Membership at 24 Hour Fitness ends in January 2014 but current place of work has a gym that I can use once a week.
- Pay $4,000 towards our debts. We will be keeping track of this on Pure Family Gold. Keep an eye out for the first post on our finances in January 2014.
- Reconnect with five friends from high school or college.
- Take 15 minutes for myself every day.
- Have fun & live purposefully!
As always, thank you for your love and support in my professional and personal endeavors. These wishes could not come true without your ongoing support.
This year, I would like to challenge you to come up with your own wishes. What things have you always wanted to do but have been too afraid to do? Set out wishes that you believe you can meet and share them with us.